Iowa Athletic Commission
The Iowa Athletic Commission (IAC) ensures the licensing, tax, and registration requirements are met for professional and amateur athletic events held in Iowa.
MMA, Professional Boxing & Professional Kickboxing
All requests for proposed event dates must be submitted to the IAC as far in advance as possible but no later than 60 days prior to the proposed event date.
After a request has been submitted, a HOLD will be placed on the athletic calendar of events. Events will be approved after the IAC has received half of the $450 non-refundable application fee and have secured appropriate staff, the HOLD will be removed from the calendar of events. If an event is denied, you will receive an email with an explanation.
Events can be found on the athletic calendar.
At least 7 days prior to the event the following must be received in the IAC office:
- Completed Promoter Event Detail Form
- Copy Fighter Contract with each contestant
- $225 - One half of application fee
- $5,000 bond payable to the State of Iowa on the Athletic Bond Form
- Certificate of Insurance
- Copy of contract with the security firm
- Copy of medical license of the ringside physician
- Copy of contract with emergency medical service including name of EMT
At least 7 days prior to the event the IAC must receive the following:
- Wrestling Event License Application
- $100 non-refundable license fee
- $5,000 bond payable to the State of Iowa of the Athletic Bond Form(link is external)
Once the IAC has received the $100 non-refundable application fee, request date and bond (unless already on file) you will receive an event calendar invitation. Approved events can be found on the Athletic calendar of events.
A promoter must complete and file with the Iowa Athletic Commissioner an Event Receipt Report Form and pay all applicable taxes within 20 days after the date of the event with the following attachments:
- One check made out to the IAC for 5% athletic tax
- One check made out to the IDR for the local option sales tax for the jurisdiction your event was held in
- Proof of the number of tickets sold and the price of each ticket, which shall include appropriate documentation from a ticketing service
If you have outstanding debt with the IAC or the Iowa Department of Revenue, any requested event will be denied until that debt is fulfilled.
Iowa professional boxer’s must be registered in Iowa. The Iowa Athletic Commission belongs to the Association of Boxing Commissioner’s (ABC) national boxer registration system.
The following must be received by the Iowa Athletic Commission 15 days prior to a boxing match that the boxer will be participating in to obtain a boxing license:
• Completed legible application
• Copy of official government issued photo ID containing the boxer’s photograph or similar foreign ID number
• Current clear facial picture
• Check or money order for $25.00 payable to Division of Labor – Athletics
View a list of ABC’s current registered boxers.
Calendar of Events
Hours of Operation
8:00am to 4:30pm • Monday - Friday
Iowa Athletic Commission
150 Des Moines Street
Des Moines, IA 50309-1836